Bluffton vs. Findlay
Beavers drop tight match to Findlay at home
September 20, 2006
BLUFFTON, Ohio - The Bluffton University women's team dropped a 5-4 decision to the University of Findlay on a cool, breezy September afternoon in Bluffton. The Beavers dug a deep hole when they lost all three of the doubles matches to open the contest, but with four singles' victors Bluffton clawed itself back into the match the hard way.
Courtney Hodson (Washington Court House/Washington Sr.) dominated her match at no. 3 singles as she swept without dropping a game. Rachel Huckaba (Perrysburg/Perrysburg) also made short work of her opponent at no. 5 singles, dispatching her, 6-2 and 6-1. Bluffton picked up singles victories by Chelsey Wenger (Bellefontaine/Bellefontaine) and Lisa Cherry (Whitehouse/Anthony Wayne) before surrendering the match to the Oilers by a final match score of 5-4.
The Beavers return to action on Saturday, Sept. 23, when they host conference favorite Manchester and Mt. St. Joseph in the final HCAC tri-match of the season.
Findlay 5, Bluffton 4
(1) Devin Games (F) def. Jenna Leichty (BU) 6-1, 6-3
(2) Chelsey Wenger (BU) def. Liz Blosser (F) 6-3, 6-3
(3) Courtney Hodson (BU) def. Lana Pahl (F) 6-0, 6-0
(4) Lisa Cherry (BU) def. Pam Bullock (F) 6-4, 6-4
(5) Rachel Huckaba (BU) def. Jenna Lemle (F) 6-2, 6-1
(6) Courtney Kahl (F) def. Jenna Kauffman (BU) 7-5, 6-2
(1) Games and Blosser (F) def. Leichty and Wenger (BU) 8-1
(2) Pahl and Lemle (F) def. Hodson and Cherry (BU) 8-5
(3) Bullock and Kahl (F) def. Huckaba and Devra Doan (BU) 9-7