A.C. Burcky was a founding father of Bluffton athletics
By Ron Geiser, for 1997 awards program
It would be impossible to list all the contributions that Coach A. C. Burcky has made to the history of Bluffton College. The physical education and athletic programs of BC. were built on a firm foundation largely through the teaching and coaching efforts of Coach Andrew C. Burcky.
A. C. Burcky graduated from BC. in 1922. He began work at the college that fall. From 1922 on through the twenties, thirties and forties, he was a one-man athletic department. He coached football, basketball, baseball, tennis, track, women's basketball and taught all the physical education courses; served as trainer, equipment manager, handled publicity, arrange schedules, drove one of the cars to away games and much, much more. In 1930, a woman was added to the staff to teach physical education for women; and in 1950, Kenneth Mast was added to the staff to coach football, basketball, and track. Coach Burcky remained the baseball coach into the sixties.
In 1962, he was inducted into the NAIA Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Joseph, Missouri. A. C. Burcky was named Faculty Emeritus Professor of Physical Education in 1968 (1922-1968). At Homecoming, 1970, the A. C. Burcky addition to Founders Hall was dedicated in his honor.
In 1974 he was a member of the first-ever induction class into the Bluffton College Athletic Hall of Fame.
On March 19, 1987, along with the dedication of the Baseball Field portion of the new Emery Sears Athletic Complex, Coach Burcky was on hand to throw the first pitch for the opening home game.
Coach Burcky passed away on December 7, 1989 at the age of 93.