Steps to apply for financial aid
- The first step is to apply online for a PIN. Both the student and one parent will a PIN to electronically sign the FAFSA and other financial aid forms. Save these numbers in a secure location as you will need them next year.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after Jan. 1. Bluffton University's priority filing date is May 1. You will need your current tax returns, W2s, federal PINs and Bluffton's school code (003016) in order to complete the FAFSA. Apply online at www.fafsa.gov.
- Corrections to the FAFSA can be made on the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Corrections can also be made electronically by the financial aid office. Whether made by the student or the financial aid office, correction results are sent both to the student and to the financial aid office. A revised financial aid award notice may be generated and sent to the student when corrected FAFSA data is received and required documentation is on file.
- Research and apply for scholarships. Free money is available for your education, you just need to take the steps to seek it out and apply.
- Students who have not previously borrowed Federal Direct Loans through Bluffton University need to complete Entrance Loan Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The Entrance Loan Counseling session is a quick tutorial that covers your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. The MPN will require your PIN for electronic signature and two references. Loan funds cannot be disbursed until both of these are complete.
- The federal government selects some FAFSA applications for a process called verification. If your FAFSA is selected, you will be required to submit a verification worksheet along with other documentation requested by the financial aid office.
- Students interested in working on campus through the Learn and Earn program must complete an application. Campus jobs are open to all students. Students may earn up to the amount listed on their financial aid award, however this amount is not a guarantee.