Summer Discovery Grant
Bluffton University encourages you to take a break from wage work for part of your summer to create an experience that allows you to consider new vocational possibilities. This is an opportunity for you to dream a little!
Are you an education major considering teaching in an urban school setting but have never experienced the inner city? Are you a science major who would like to volunteer your lab skills for an exciting project at a research institute? Are you a religion major who would like to spend some reflective time at a monastery?
With a Summer Discovery Grant, current first year or sophomore students have the opportunity to design their own 4-6 week summer experience to explore the relationship between vocation and faith. A Summer Discovery Grant may help you discover your calling! Up to two students will be awarded grants in the amount of $1,500. Grant funds are provided by the Karl Schultz Discovery Funds, an endowment established through the gift of Bluffton alumnus, Karl Schultz.
2014 grant recipients
JOHN ECKENRODE used job shadowing and other strategies to explore career options in education and
KADARIS JOHNSON worked with agencies in Detroit to learn more about restorative justice.
2013 grant recipients
KAYLA CRAIG spent time at several social service agencies in northeast Ohio.
CHAY REIGLE tested an interest in public relations with several faith-based organizations.
Guidelines for eligibility
- An interest in designing an experience for yourself that will allow you to creatively explore vocation
- Open to current first years or sophomores with a declared major
- Registered for classes at Bluffton University for fall of the year for which you are applying for funds.
Typically these experiences are:
- Organized for a 4-6 week period of time during the summer
- Positions that you will not be paid for in addition to the $1,500 grant
- Not experiences for which you hope to gain college credit.
Application packets are available in the student life office and at Marbeck Desk. To apply, please submit the following items: