In loving memory

The Bluffton University baseball team was involved in a bus accident early Friday morning, March 2, in Atlanta, Ga. The bus, carrying 35 student-athletes, coaches and bus drivers, was on its way to Sarasota, Fla., to play in a doubleheader with Eastern Mennonite University before heading to Ft. Myers to participate in the Gene Cusic Classic. (March 2, 2007)   more info...     obituaries...

Bluffton public relations news releases:

Please note: Many of the original stories posted regarding the accident may still reflect information as it was known at the time it was written and for historical purposes may not be changed. We appreciate your understanding.

Ways to show support

  • Processing grief: Resources are available as Bluffton's community begins the healing and recovery process. more info...

  • Funds have been established to support player families and to create a lasting campus memorial. more info...

Candlelight service, March 2, 2007

A candlelight service brought the campus community together the night of March 2 at the beginning of spring break to mourn those who died in the accident and to pray for those hospitalized. (photos provided by The Toledo Blade and Burton Andrews)




Memorial service, March 12, 2007


Approximately 2,500 family, friends, classmates and teammates gathered in Founders Hall on March 12 for a memorial service honoring the memories of the seven who died in the tragic bus accident on March 2, 2007. (photos provided by The Lima News)








Memorials in the Kiva


Bluffton University has been overwhelmed with letters, cards, flowers and other expressions of support in this time. The Kiva in Marbeck Center was transformed into a memorial to share these expressions of support with the campus community.






First game



A crowd of approximately 2,000 fans and 100 television and newspaper reporters were on hand as the Beavers opened the 2007 season at home on March 30 vs. conference foe Mount St. Joseph. The Beavers lost 10-5, but won the first game of a doubleheader in extra innings the following day. (photos by Burton Andrews)