The frontWright's A. D. German Warehouse is his only building in Richland Center, his birthplace, and his only warehouse. In 1915, Wright designed the building for Alfred Dell German, a wholesale distributor of cement, coal, and grain. The four-story building is constructed of red brick and concrete. Because of it massive impression, heavy walls, decorated top, and minimal fenestration, this warehouse is often seen as an early example of his "Mayan" buildings, a style he would practice later in the West.
The sideThe bricks are laid in an unusual bond with 3 stretchers and then one header. Narrow slit windows below are echoed by even narrower windows in the concrete decorative frieze above.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.