|According to William M. S. Rasmussen, the colonial governor of Williamsburg from 1710-1722, Alexander Spotswood, designed this large cruciform church (in Brownell et al 14-15). This rare plan in England and the American colonies allowed for a spacious interior.|
|The building was completed in 1715 and a gallery was installed in the south transept as early as 1720. The chancel was enlarged in the 1750s and the steeple added in 1769-71.|
See this official site for additional information.
Go to Williamsburg Architecture Index.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.