|The first Italian king is honored by this mixed Hellenistic-Roman monument. Sacconi won the second competition in 1884 for this design. (The first competition, won by a French architect, occasioned much debate.) A number of buildings were demolished to provide space for the structure, which includes an altar to the fatherland and a large bronze equestrian statue of Vittorio Emanuele II. Quadrigae are on the tops of the two small temples at each side.|
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.