Opposite Grote Kerk on Grote MarktLocated on Haarlem's Market Square, this building (the Stadhuis) was built in the first half of the 14th century on land donated to the city by William II, Count of Holland, after fires had destroyed an earlier wooden building. This facade, however, was added later, in the early 17th century, by the architect Lieven de Key. Other alterations also followed, including the demolishing of the tower in the 18th century, although it was rebuilt in the early 20th century. The Town Hall has been the site of the city's government since about 1100; unlike most of medieval Europe, Haarlem was primarily self-governing since the early 15th century. (See Grote Kerk or St. Bavo's.)
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.