View from the southwest cornerDuring Sullivan's late career (about 1906-1919), he was commissioned to design a number of banks in small towns and rural areas. This commission for a prosperous farming community was the first of these . See also People's Savings and Loan Association Bank in Sidney, Ohio and Farmers and Merchants Union Bank in Columbus, Wisconsin. George Grant Elmslie, chief draftsman in Sullivan's firm, designed the floral ornament.
|The bank interior was remodeled in the 1940's, which included dismantling tellers' counters and discarding terra cotta decoration. However, later restorations have been more respectful of Sullivan's masterpiece.||TS||RA|
Details of terra-cotta bands and cartouche and metal sign
Details including stained glass window, designed by Louis J. Millet, interior mural painting by Oskar Gross, and cast-iron electrolier, designed by William Winslow(Note also wall stencil around painting and behind the electrolier.)
Detail view of west window
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.