The whole of the east side of the ZócaloThis impressive building houses the office of the President of Mexico, the national treasury, and famous murals by Diego Rivera.
The central portalThree grand doorways grace the facade, the right for the president's entrance and the left for the Federal Treasury; the central bay features the "Campana de Dolores."
The "Campana de Dolores" and the balcony of the "grito"
|This bell was rung in the town of Dolores, near Guanajuato, by Miguel Hidalgo in 1810, calling for the Mexican War of Independence. On the balcony below the bell president gives the grito (shout)--Viva Mexico!--on September 15--a way of remembering the independence.|
The Renaissance courtyardOn the west side of the courtyard, a grand staircase leads to the second level. Important Diego Rivera murals are painted on the wall of this main staircase (1929-35); other murals showing various pre-Hispanic cultures are located on the walls of the second floor loggia (1945-1951).
Go to the Mexico Index.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.