|This mission is in a remote location, surrounded now on all sides by the government-owned Fort Hunter-Liggett. The Mission was plundered and later abandoned during the 19th century. Restorations were begun in the early 20th century and later by the Hearst Foundation in 1948. The Mission is located a few miles from the Hearst Hunting Lodge, designed by Julia Morgan in the Mission style. Today the property is owned by the Diocese of Monterey and maintained by the Franciscan Friars.|
Views of the loggia across the front
The entrance to the garden and the Cloister
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.