|In the 11th century a chapel was built on this site, financed by the people of Rome, thus the name of this church dedicated to the Virgin. The church was enlarged in the 13th century and rebuilt in the late 15th century on the orders of Pope Sixtus IV. Later in the 17th century Bernini made changes to the facade.|
|The church is notable for its frescoes by by Pinturicchio and two paintings by Caravaggio--both in side chapels. In 1531 Raphael created the Chigi Chapel (see page 2) which contains sculptural works by Bernini.|
The central altar and a crucifix
Dome over the crossing
Side aisle and side chapel
Cerasi Chapel with an altarpiece by Annibale Carracci--The Assumption of the Virgin, 1600-01, and two paintings by Carravaggio: Crucifixion of St. Peter, 1600-1601 and The Conversion on the Way to Damascus, 1600See this site for excellent reproductions of these paintings by Carravaggio and this site for a reproduction of the Carracci.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.