The south flankArnolfo di Cambio did the original plan but a later plan was superimposed on it designed by Francesco Talenti and a committee in about 1355-67. The buildings in the cathedral complex all use the same beautiful polychromy of green and white stone with rose-colored bands.
Looking up toward the dome
The neo-Gothic facadeThis facade was erected between 1857-87 and designed by Emilio de Fabris and Augustino Conti.
The Campanile, designed by Giotto in 1334This was the last of the three parts of the cathedral complex to be designed and even it was altered from Giotto's original design by Andrea Pisano, who worked on the bell tower after Giotto's death. (Giotto died three years after it was begun.) The free-standing tower gives an image of power. See also the reliefs on the Campanile by Andrea Pisano.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.