South elevation, Oglethorpe AvenueThe house was designed originally for James Moore Wayne, mayor of Savannah (at that time) and later a U. S. Supreme Court justice. The name of the architect is unknown although some have speculated that William Jay, who designed several other prominent building in Savannah, was the architect. It is known that the house changed hands and in 1885 Detlef Lienau was commissioned to redesign the house, adding an attic story and the curved side piazza.
East elevation parterre garden and side piazza
|Since Juliette Gordon Low was born here, the Girls Scouts of the USA have purchased the house as a memorial to the founder of the Girl Scouts and a center for their actitivies. Another museum-house, this building is open to the public.|
Details of the west elevation
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.