|This two-story wooden frame house was built by Bernard Constantine, a merchant. Like many houses in Savannah, especially those built in the mid 1800's, the main floor--with the living room/parlor, is on the second floor above a raised basement level. (See this typical house.) Exterior stairs lead to what in Europe would be called the piano nobile and what in Savannah is called the first floor.The side porch was added in the late 20th century during the extensive renovation.|
East elevation facing Pulaski Square; restored and renovated in 1972
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.