|The medieval church on this site, dedicated to St. Benedict and the burial site of Inigo Jones, was destroyed during the Great Fire. Wren rebuilt the church in a quasi-Dutch style, with a hipped roof, and using dark red and blue chequerwork bricks, decorative stone quoins, and carved stone swags over the windows. In 1879 it became the London church of the Welch Episcopalian congregation.|
|The interior is small, almost square. The square tower rises through three stories to a small lead dome with elliptical windows, carrying a small open lantern and an even smaller spire.|
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.