|This club was established in 1823 by John Wilson Croker, Sir Thomas Lawrence, and others for individuals known for scientific, literary or artistic accomplishments as well as patrons of these endeavors. The club library was thought to be one of the best in London. A classical revival building, it has a front portico with paired Doric columns, a continuous balustrade on the main floor (piano nobile), a frieze above that floor copied from the Parthenon, and a statue of Pallas Athene by Baily above the porch. (The third story was added later.)|
Entrance frontAlthough the side of the club building abuts Pall Mall, the impressive entrance faces Waterloo Place.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.