1345 (and 1564)
|The most famous bridge in Florence and also the oldest, this structure with three stone arches replaced a wooden bridge which had crossed the Arno River at this spot since Roman times. The upper side of the bridge, known as the Vasariano corridor, was designed by Vasari to link the Palazzo Vecchio and the Uffizi Gallery to the Pitti Palace; today it is an art gallery.|
|The bridge is inhabited. Originally the sides held food shops but by the end of the 15th century the shops were assigned to goldsmiths and silversmiths. An opening midway across the bridge offers views of the river and shore.|
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.