Exterior viewsThis late Gothic basilica is on the site of an earlier St. Bavo church mentioned as early as 1245. According to its official web site, the choir was built in 1370-1400 by Brecht Enge of Nivelles made in "brick Gothic" with economical use of sandstone while the transept was added in the mid-15th century in the "style of the classic Brabant Gothic." The construction of the nave was performed by master Evert Rail Water in 2 phases in the second half of the 15th century. The original crossing tower was a 16th century design.
The Müller organThis grand organ dating from 1738 occupies the whole west wall of the church and measures almost 30 metres from the ground. The official web site explains that "the organ is richly gilded and decorated with more than 25 larger than life-size statues, all made by Jan van Logteren, a sculptor from Amsterdam. The pinnacle is crowned with two lion figures holding the coat of arms of Haarlem. The pinnacle is Crowned with two lion figures holding the coat of arms of Haarlem" (website).
The west end of the church with the famous organThe wooden vaulting (see below) dates to the 16th century.
Distant views of the choir with the choir screen; painting by Pieter Jansz. Saenredam of the choir in this church, 1660
The choir and apseBuilt in 1370-1400 by Brecht Enge of Nivelles, the choir has heavy walls and stocky columns.
Left: view of the choir; center: view of the nave; right: painting by Pieter Jansz. Saenredam of the nave in this church (also showing some of the transept), 1648
View of the nave with part of the transept; painting by Pieter Jansz. Saenredam of this same view in the church, 1636
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.